I’m always on the look out for sugar-free treats so I thought I’d test out and alter a recipe I saw recently. There are only 4 ingredients (you can add one extra ingredient for more sweetness) and it is really quick and easy to make. It stores in the freezer too so lasts for ages – just take out a couple of minutes before you want to serve to soften slightly.
You could obviously use a different nut butter if you prefer cashew or even peanut butter – just make sure if it is store bought that you use a pure one without any added sugar or oil (my favourite brand if I’m not make them myself is Meridian).
So enjoy and don’t feel any guilt with this clean eating, tasty, gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free treat. Yes really, treat! 😉
- 1 jar of Almond Butter – I used a crunchy one for extra texture (if using homemade nut butter, about 200g)
- 20 dates (any kind but the neglet ones)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp melted raw cacoa (or 4 tablespoons cacao powder)
- Optional – 1 tbsp. maple syrup if you like more sweetness
- Make sure the dates are pitted and put in a pan with a cupful of boiling water. Keep stirring and take off the heat when it is really sticky and all the dates are sticking together.
- Melt the cacao and coconut oil together and then mix in the almond butter.
- Put the sticky date mixture and the almond butter mixture in a food processor (or a bowl with a stick blender) and blend together until smooth.
- Place in a baking tin lined with greaseproof paper and then leave to set for 3 hours in the freezer.
- Store in the freezer until ready to use.