I am a little obsessed with juicing. I don’t always do it, and sometimes it will just be one for breakfast or an addition to lunch or dinner. It is a quick and easy way to get a lot of natural fruit and veg goodness into your body. Plus it saves on the cost of having to buy cold pressed juices. I have always felt like I have a lot more energy when I juice.
I know ‘juice cleanses’ can get a lot of stick for not actually being very good for you and that it is just temporary. If you are embarking on a juice cleanse or similar healthy or detox plan this January, I want to let you know that juice cleanses are good for you. The feelings of having a lot of energy and generally feeling well will of course fade if you then start fuelling your body with unnatural junk. So don’t blame the juice cleanse!
They aren’t for everyone as certain health problems or illnesses need you to eat specific things. If you are up for trying it and are in general good health, there are lots of reasons why you should.
- It rests the stomach
- Juices require less of the stomach’s digestive processing (churning, acid etc). Remember to gently chew the juices to add oral enzymes to further ease digestion.
- Rest and repair the gut
- Toxic foods, taking medications, and even things like stress can harm the intestine’s functioning. Consuming a rainbow plant-based juice diet allows food to be easily digested. The nutrient-dense food helps to repair the gut itself too.
- Lose weight
- As you are feeling better and having more energy, you also naturally lose weight. Some of this is water bloat, but also some is fat. A juice cleanse should be a minimum of three days and is a great way to jump start a diet.
- Eliminate harmful foods
- a juice cleanse eliminates dairy, wheat, gluten and things like coffee and alcohol too. These are all full of toxins and it good to give your body a break from them.
- Reduce your appetite
- Juicing doesn’t shrink the stomach, even though a lot of people think it does. it will just feel like your stomach has shrunk. Juicing eliminates the habit of comfort eating, and makes you feel satiated with less food than usual.
- Fills our body with super nutrition
- Being on an all fruit and veg diet gives us not only the vitamins and minerals but the all-important nutrients that help our bodies to clean-up and heal. Juices are raw foods so they retain nutrients that would be otherwise be destroyed by cooking.
- Improve energy
- After the first day’s adjustment period (mostly missing actually chewing anything), most people begin to feel much more energy and clarity (by consuming only fresh juices).
- Rehydrate the body
- Drinking sufficient fluids (around 8 glasses a day) makes the body function more efficiently which increases energy. This aids proper elimination of toxins.
So there you have it, there is no reason to not give juicing a try. Have you ever tried a cleanse before?