With summer meant to be on the way, then a light savoury dish is perfect for the days when you don’t want anything too stodgy or heavy to eat. Even better when it is made from completely natural ingredients! I hope you enjoy this recipe from the team at VegFestUK.
Summer Savoury Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheesecake
Ingredients to Serve 6:
- 100g mixed seeds
- 100g oats
- 1 Tablespoon yeast flakes
- pinch salt
- splash of cold pressed omega 3 rapeseed oil
- 250g Broccoli
- 250g Cauliflower
- 400g fresh tofu/bean curd
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes
- 250ml sweetened soy milk (or almond milk)
- 1 small Persimmon/Sharon Fruit cored
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- Vegetable Stock cube
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp each ground nutmeg / ground coriander/smoked paprika
- Juice of one lime
- Coarse ground Polenta
- optional Coconut Feta or other melty vegan cheese
What To Do:
- Set oven at 180ºC.
- Steam the broccoli and cauliflower for ten minutes.
- Toast the base ingredients in a pad with a lid, until pumpkin seeds ‘pop’ (you’ll hear it ‘ting’ in the pan).
- Arrange toasted seeds/oats in bottom of 12″ flan dish.
- Smash up the broccoli/cauliflower and blend/blitz all cheezecake ingredients together using a food processor. Then pour on top of seeds.
- Sprinkle on 35g ground polenta on top and bake for 35-40 minutes in your preheated oven.
- If you want to add vegan cheese to the top add on top after 25 minutes and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Chefs Serving Suggestion:
Serve with a fresh leafy summer salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar and hemp oil and mustard.
The recipe contains soy, oats, mustard, sesame, seeds.
Recipe from Tony Bishop-Weston: a consultant development chef for Foods for Life, author of VegfestUK best vegan cookbook 2015, and currently helping with chef’s itinerary for VegfestUK Trade Show at London Olympia. If you liked this recipe and want more like it, then make sure that you visit VegFest in Bristol this weekend, you can get tickets HERE.