Wedding season is upon us and while many of you are searching for the perfect outfit, some very lucky, loved up couples are looking for more than just a fancy fascinator. If you are fortunate enough to be planning your own wedding, you are bound to be feeling a range of emotions; from excitement to anticipation, to nerves and stress.
Of course you want to have a fabulous big day, but don’t let this happy time become too overwhelming and life consuming. Check out our do’s and don’ts for planning your wedding:
- Don’t be a superbride (commonly known as a bridezilla). You’re smart, you’re focused, but you’re still one woman. Superbrides eventually run out of steam and end up near the big day with favours unassembled, invitations unstamped, shoes undyed, heads uncounted. How to avoid this fate? Call in your trusty sidekicks before the struggle gets real. Here’s a little secret: People want to help! So do yourself a favour and accept their offers!
- Do keep dating: It’s important to remember why you’re actually getting hitched by booking in quality time with your fiance. No, I’m not talking about pizza on the sofa whilst he watches TV and you fuss over dress fabric, get yourselves dressed up and out on a date. Do something you used to do before you got the ring on your finger.
- Don’t plan a difficult destination wedding: Ah, the lure of the exotic faraway wedding—you can just picture it, can’t you? Exchanging vows on top of a volcano in Hawaii. Nice idea, but will Grandma be up to the trip? Will your friends drain their bank accounts to get there? Destination weddings can be terrific, but as with any wedding, it’s not only about you, it’s also about your guests.
- Do book a venue that lessens the stress: Looking for a wow-factor wedding venue can be a challenge. The venue sets the tone of the entire day, so you need to be certain about how you feel about it. An elegant country house such as Botleys Mansion would make you feel like royalty as well as absolutely spoil your guests. Botleys Mansion also offers flexibility and impeccable service when it comes to hosting your celebration. It’s important to feel totally comfortable with the team that are helping you create your special day, and at Botleys Mansion you’ll be provided with a dedicated wedding planning who will be available for you to contact whenever you’re in need.
- Don’t let parents dictate your invite list: Times have changed, but that doesn’t stop some pushy parents from insisting on having the golf or garden club at the wedding. Once you have a budget in mind, you can rough out the number of guests it’s feasible to invite. Then ask both sets of parents for invite lists, in order of preference, so you can cut from the bottom if necessary. Stay in charge!
- Don’t bow to bridal peer pressure: You just got back from a friend’s wedding and you’re battling the green monster: She had an eight-piece band while you booked a DJ. She had her bridesmaids in glamorous maxi dresses while you went for a simple midi. If you change your plans to beat her wedding you’ll hate yourself for it, and go a little crazy in the process. Worse, you’ll veer off the course you set for your own dream wedding. She made her wedding hers. Make your wedding yours.
We hope these tips guide you in the right direction for planning your wedding. Try your best to enjoy the journey because you’ll be walking down that aisle before you know it!
Best wishes for the big day!