It’s the most wonderful time of the year… but is it really? Cooking, cleaning, hosting, bagging up wrapping paper, eating your body weight and sitting around to recover from it all. This is your time off, your precious holiday time! So make it your holiday and take an actual break! Why not have someone else cook your Christmas dinner, be waited on hand and foot?
Rather than staying home, here are a few alternative places to spend your Christmas and really make the most of your time off:
- If you’re thinking of getting away for Christmas with a large group, staying in a cosy cottage takes the pressure off one host, and everyone can chip in with the cooking – and washing up! There are so many beautiful cottages decked out and ready for your staycation.
- If you fancy a little adventure, why not consider a Christmas Ski Holiday? Skiing and snowboarding will give you the winter thrill you’re looking for. Whether you’re a total amateur or a seasoned pro, in Austria there is a slope for everyone – it’s never too late to learn! Skiing and boarding over the festive season and new year is the perfect way to bring family and friends together over a mug of mulled wine and a mince pie after a long day on the slopes. There’ll be plenty of festive spirit at your chalet hotel too, imagine, a white christmas!
- Children can get bored easily in the holidays and thinking of new activities to keep them stimulated can be tough. Going somewhere new with different and exciting attractions is the perfect thing to keep them entertained. Join Mickey’s very merry Christmas Party at Disney World Florida – could there be a greater gift for your child?!
- Visit the stunning Christmas markets of Berlin. Wandering around admiring the sights and the lights with a German hot dog in one hand and a hot chocolate in the other – what’s not to love?
- An Icelandic adventure could be the change of scenery you’re looking for. Iceland is an incredible destination with more people than ever before wanting to visit its awe-inspiring landscapes and incredible northern lights.
- Trade your cosy christmas for some winter sun! While everyone at home is desperately trying to stay warm, you could be laid out on the white sands of the bahamas catching rays.
- Whether you love shopping, theatre, architecture, beach or parks, New York City has something for everyone but winter is particularly exciting as you can indulge in Christmas shopping galore, Broadway festivities and ice skating action around the city, whether it be by the Rockefeller Centre or in Central Park.
- Aside from the beaches, Rio is probably most famous for its epic parties, and New Year’s Eve is when the whole city gets down to some serious revelling. During ‘Reveillon’ NYE celebrations, around two million people head down to four kilometre-long Copacabana beach to watch the huge midnight firework display and party like mad until the sun rises the next day. If you’re a party animal, Rio could be the perfect destination for you.
Try something new this Christmas! Whether you’re alone, with your partner or the whole family, don’t forget – you’re on holiday too! Make some time for you by booking a memorable Christmas trip. Only problem is, you’ll be desperate to do it every year!