The recipe does realistically take about an hour but its all simple stuff, basically lots of stirring and normal ingredients that you probably already have – give it a go and let me know how you get on (taken from Gordon Ramsey’s World Kitchen).
You will need:
– 40g butter, softened
– 100g caster sugar
– 150ml whole milk
– 100ml double cream
– 3 egg yolks
– 15g plain flour
– 10g cornflour
– 4 egg whites
– zest and juice of one lemon
– 4 small souffle dishes or ramekins (or one large dish)
– Heavy based pan
– Large mixing bowl
– Wooden spoon
– Palette knife
– Baking tray
What to do:
– Brush either 4 individual souffle dishes, or one large dish, with the softened butter. Chill for a few minutes then brush with a second layer of butter. Sprinkle some caster sugar into each dish to dust the butter-coated base and sides evenly. Then chill the dish(es) until needed.
– For the souffle base, pour the milk and cream into a pan and slowly bring to just below the boil, then remove from the heat.
– Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and 50g caster sugar together in a large bowl until pale and thick. Sift the flour and cornflour together onto the yolk mixture and whisk again until smooth. Now, slowly add the creamy milk, whisking as you go. Pour the mixture back into the pan ans stir constantly over a low heat with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or so until it is smooth and quite thick. Set aside to cool.
– Preheat the oven to 200c / Gas 6.
– In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Add a few drops of lemon juice, then whisk again. Gradually whisk in the remaining 50g sugar, a spoonful at the time, until you get a thick, glossy mixture.
– Stir the lemon zest and juice into the souffle base, then whisk in a third of the egg white mixture to loosen the mixture. Carefully fold in the rest of the egg white, using a large metal spoon, until all is incorporated.
– Spoon the mixture into the prepared dishes, filling them to the top, then tap each on the work surface to get rid of any air bubbles. Smooth the surface with a small palette knife.
– Place dishes on a baking sheet and bake in the middle of the oven for 15-18 minutes, until risen with a slight wobble in the middle. Serve straight away and enjoy 🙂