I remember in LBC (life before children), that I would take a long time to get ready and do my makeup. I had a lot more time I suppose and I am certainly the kind of person that can fill time quite easily. Fast forward a few years and I now have two children. Whilst they aren’t teeny tiny anymore, they can still be quite demanding and obviously need supervision when they want to get their breakfast or get themselves dressed. So time, especially on a morning can be a little rushed.
Luckily both my two are good sleepers. So I pretty much get a full night’s sleep. But on days when I’ve been up late meeting deadlines, getting up for the school run is exhausting! But I can’t just roll out of bed and drop him off. I would scare the children! I have pretty much invisible / blonde eyelashes, so without mascara I look completely different. My skin tone is uneven and naturally a little red. So some makeup, even if it is just a little bit, is a must for me. I have got my routine down to a fine art now, though. So here are a few things that help me to get ready, when I am short on time as a busy mum.
Dry shampoo is a little bit of a temporary fix. But having blonde hair, when I have roots means that it can look super greasy after only a day. So if I haven’t got time to wash, dry and straighten my hair, dry shampoo to the rescue! Then I just wash my hair when I’m back from drop off or running errands. I get a shower, though, and use a shower cap when I’m not washing my hair (I use a Save the Blow Dry shower cap as my hair instantly fizzes at any sign of moisture)!
It might sound a bit silly, but for me, drinking plenty of water needs to be in my makeup routine. I can really tell when I haven’t been drinking enough water. My skin isn’t as clear and the circles under my eyes are much darker. So if I am very short on time, I can just give foundation a miss. I feel fresher too. Sounds cliche but lots of water really does help me.
Light Up Mirror*
Quite often when I am getting up, it is before the kids. I like to have as much non-rushed time to get ready as possible. So it can quite often mean that I am applying my makeup on in the dark. Having an LED light up mirror is perfect as it solves that problem. It gives plenty of light and it is just the right size. Meaning you don’t have to put the ‘big light’ on. Mine is from Pebble Grey and I think it is fab. It has two different mirrors, that just flip around. One is magnified so perfect for plucking eyebrows or applying eye makeup.
The only thing that I think could be improved with it, is that you need to use a plug for the light. Having the option of batteries would be good, so then I can use it in my bathroom, rather than in my bedroom. It looks stunning on a dresser or bedside table, though. It is currently on sale for just over £58.
Short on Time Makeup Products
When I have more time, or a special event, then I will take more time to apply makeup. I will do fancy eyeliner and eyeshadow, as well as just taking more time on my face and lips. But for everyday, I wear quite minimal makeup. I don’t need a full face everyday and it saves on time too – duh! So I have found a few products that work for me, and are greta when short on time.
- Mineral makeup
- Mineral face powder gives me a nice even coverage on my face that I use as a base. It takes seconds to apply and I find that it doesn’t look cakey. It compliments the skin tone that you already have and adds a little colour. I think it is great for my pores too. Not clogging them like other face products.
- Tinted Lip Gloss or Lip Balm
- I can get dehydrated lips quite easily. It is the worst feeling in the world. So I always have something on my lips. Sometimes it is just something like vaseline. If I want a bit of colour in my everyday makeup, then I use a tinted lip gloss or lip balm. It is easy to apply, quick, and doesn’t need the precision of applying lipstick.
- As I have stated, I can’t go far without mascara! It is pretty much all I use on my eyes in everyday life. I have used many mascaras in my time, but my favourites have got to be Benefit Rollerlash (more subtle look), and Dior’s Diorshow mascara (thicker and fuller look).
- BB Cream or Tinted Moisturiser
- I think that a BB cream or tinted moisturiser is a great addition for busy mums. Not only does it hydrate the skin, but it helps to add some colour. It feels my skin feeling light and fresh which is what I want for everyday. I am currently using the BB cream from Younique.
Have you got any techniques you use to get ready in a short as time as possible?
Linking up to #KCACOLS.
*PR Sample gifted in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own.