Valentine’s day is coming up next month so here is a little inspiration to get you in the mood. Not that you need to only have heart shaped chocolate on only one day a year – any excuse right? 😉
This recipe is using the sweetness from California Prunes and is a recipe from chocolatier Paul Young that I am able to share with you. California Prunes contribute to normal bowel function as well as being naturally fat and saturated fat free. They are full of vitamins and minerals too.
California Prune Valentine Heart Chocolates
- For the filling – Ganache:
- 325g Valrhona caramelia chocolate
- 125mls milk
- 87g Valrhona Pecan praline paste
- 35g Light Muscovado sugar
- 15 drops Essential Oil of Orange
For the California Prune layer:
- 100g California Prune purée
For the Heart Shell:
- 400g 66% Valrhona Caraibe couverture
For the Decoration:
- Metallic Scarlet edible pigment
- Using an artist’s paint brush apply a small amount of the scarlet powder into the bottom of each of the heart moulds
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie to 55°c and allow to stay warm and melted for a couple of hours. This will ensure a shiny and smooth finish to your chocolates
- Temper the chocolate and line each mould with tempered chocolate making sure you tap the mould to eliminate any air bubbles
- Tip out all the excess chocolate to leave a chocolate lined cavity
- Place this in the fridge for 15 minutes
- Using a piping bag squeeze a small mount of the puree into each lined heart
- Then fill another piping bag with the cooled ganache and fill the heart just below the top and tap the mould to level
- Leave the mould overnight to set
- Now melt and temper the chocolate again and seal the bottoms of the chocolates by scraping along the mould to give a flat surface, sealing in all the ganache and California Prune puree
- Allow to set for 30 minutes then turn the mould carefully to release the chocolates out of their moulds. They will only release if the chocolate has been correctly tempered.
- Keep in a cool dry place and enjoy within seven days.
Allergens – contains Milk, Nuts, Soya.
Linking up to #KCACOLS and Sunday Sweets.