South African Apples and Pears are perfectly in season during UK summer. So how about giving South African apple recipe, by food blogger Kerstin Rodgers, a go? There is not much better to a foodie like me, than eating seasonally 🙂
You could use watercress or rocket instead of spinach in this recipe, and as a change from quinoa, use couscous or bulgur wheat instead. Fresh, crunchy and full of flavour, this nutritious salad is perfect for a healthy lunch or light supper. It’s ideal as part of a packed lunch too.
Chicken, Apple & Quinoa Salad
- 100g quinoa
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 South African apples, cored and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 100g seedless red grapes, halved
- 50g sultanas or raisins
- 2 roast chicken breasts, skin removed
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the quinoa into a saucepan and rinse with cold water, then drain well. Add the vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes, when the grains will have swollen. Drain and rinse with cold water to cool quickly, then drain thoroughly. Tip into a large bowl.
2. Stir the South African apples, celery, grapes, sultanas or raisins into the quinoa, then tear in the chicken breasts and add the spinach leaves. Share between 4 plates or bowls.
3. To make the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice or vinegar, mustard, olive oil and seasoning. Spoon a little over each salad, then serve, garnished with a few mint leaves.
BlogLovin’ | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
I’m using boiled diced chicken instead of roasted chicken, hope that’s fine 🙂
That would taste great 🙂
yum yum! sounds real good 🙂 gotta try adding apple into my salad! x http://www.latifaxlola.wordpress.com
Thanks for sharing a wonderful recipe. Can you also tell me how much fat does it contain?