I started University nearly 10 years ago *cringe* I can’t believe it was that long ago! I loved my time at University though. I loved my course, I made some really amazing life-long friends and I really loved my chosen University. The UCAS deadline is nearly here so here are some tips to help choose the best University for you (or to help a son or daughter choose).
- VISIT – this may sound really obvious but a lot of people I met at University had never been to Leeds, let alone to the campus. Very brave if you ask me. Even if the one you think you want to go to because of the course is far away, you really need to plan time to make a proper visit. Not only will you get a feel for the campus and the facilities, but you will see what the housing is like, the city / town and the little things like the shops it has and public transport. Starting Uni is a big thing and you don’t want to have to worry about all of that when you first start.
- KNOW THE FACULTY – Kiss FM presenter AJ went to the University of Greenwich to show potential students under the skin of the university and what you can get up to in their faculties. Something like this is so important. You can see what your course / department really get up to, what course content will be like and get a feel for what the Uni is really like.
- RESEARCH – make sure you have fully researched what the course content will be like. Universities may offer the ‘same’ course but it is only the same by title. The actual content will differ as will how you are assessed. If you aren’t that great at exams, maybe doing a course that is 100% exam assessed isn’t the best idea!
- PLAN – will you be taking a car? A bike? Will there be places to park? Is it necessary to have one with you? How far is the campus from where you will be living? Is cycling that distance realistic? All of these kinds of things need to be planned out. Come the start of term you will most likely get very stressed out with all of the changes, so plan, plan, plan.
- BE SOCIAL – not necessarily meaning going out to different events and nights out, but join in with clubs and societies (at least at first anyway). Great way to get a hobby or carry on with something that you use to do back home and of course get to know new people. One other vital thing is be on Facebook! This was only invented during my second year at uni (yes, I’m old and remember having to log in using my university email) but it is such a good way to connect with course mates, and house mates and get to know who people are. Sometimes putting names to faces is hard lol.
- SAVE – this needs to be not only with money (Uni and living away from home cost a lot more than you think it will) but also save up some home bits that you can take with you. Can’t got wrong with some pots and pans, a kettle and some Tupperware 😉
Now, to be in with a chance of winning a £30 Amazon voucher, to hep you or someone you know get ready for Uni,all you need to do is CLICK on the Rafflecopter link below and complete as many entries as you would like.
The competition will run for three weeks ending on 2nd February – good luck!
You could also be in with the chance of winning some amzing start of term prizes, including an iPad mini, by visiting this link: http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/kissuniversitytakeover
Competition Terms & Conditions:
- The giveaway will run from 6am on 12th January 2015 and run for 3 weeks, ending at 11.59pm on 2nd February 2015, GMT.
- The prize is one £30 Amazon voucher only.
- Sorry, entry is for UK residents aged 18 or over only.
- Entries can only be completed through the Rafflecopter widget.
- All entries will be checked and verified.
- The winner is chosen at random, through the Rafflecopter widget, using random.org, from all valid entries.
- The winner will be announced on 3rd January 2015 and they will be emailed, as well as announced through AAUBlog’s social media pages.
- The winner will have 72 hours to respond with their details, otherwise a new winner will be picked, following the same procedure.
- The item will be sent out once winner’s address details have been sent and the prize will be sent out directly from a PR company, on behalf of Amazon.
- No compensation was received for running this giveaway.
See my other giveaways that care currently running, HERE.