Marigold are celebrating their 70th Birthday! Who knew that those iconic yellow rubber gloves were so old? But hey, Marigold, after every big party, there’s an even bigger clean up. So get those rubber gloves out! Let’s not kid ourselves, cleaning up is the absolute worst part of any party, but with the right products, it doesn’t have to be such a work out.
Anyone with young kids understands that everyday is a cleaning battle; you’re putting the washing in, and they’re pulling clothes out of draws, just for fun. You’re wiping down the surfaces, and they’re drawing on the walls – they’re creative like that. That’s just part of a normal day. I guess that’s why some people don’t have kids, and instead come home from work to a spotless house. Somebody once said, ‘Your home may not be spotless but that’s because it’s lived in’. It’s true! The only way to keep the house pristine is to go out all day, which is ironic because then you can’t enjoy the home in its sparkling glory.
Marigold have solutions for all cleaning occasions and I have been lucky to be trying a few of them out.
Here are ten of my absolute best household cleaning tricks and tips:
- Little and often makes for the tidiest homes; Instead of a whole day dedicated to cleaning per week, incorporate 20 minutes of chores into your daily routine so it’s a gradual process. This will help you keep on top of things, rather than letting everything build up.
- De-clutter! The sooner you do this the better. Who wants to spend endless hours dusting ornaments you don’t even like?
- Clean while you shower! Sounds gross right? But it’s really not! Just spray and wipe down the bathroom surfaces in your reach – you may as well, you’re in there anyway. Then spritz the shower with a daily shower cleaning spray right after you’ve used it. Job done.
- Don’t let the dishes pile up! Throw away your dish drying rack – without it, you’ll be forced to dry and put away your dishes as soon as you wash them.
- For a happy start in the morning, do a quick kitchen night time clean after dinner.
- Let the fresh air in; open your bedroom window wide open in the morning and throw back your bedcovers. Leave it like this while you have a shower, and your sheets will stay fresher for longer.
- Make the dustpan and brush your best friend on the days you don’t have time (or the energy) to whiz the hoover round.
- Spend a few minutes wiping surfaces and cleaning sinks after each meal time.
- Save the big jobs like emptying and scrubbing cupboards for a weekend cleaning frenzy.
- Get the whole family to help.
Take these tips on board for a quicker and more effective way of cleaning, but relax a little too. There’s no need to get fixated on perfection. Often we forget that the flawless interiors we see online and in magazine are show homes! Any amount of cleaning is better than no cleaning at all.
What are some of your cleaning tips and tricks?