My family and I have been trying out some cooking sauces from Blend Bros. over the past few weeks. As a rule, I cook from scratch and make my own cooking sauces so these high protein powders, that you mix with water, are perfect to add into the things that you are cooking, for an extra protein boost. Protein helps you to keep full up for longer so is a bonus in my eyes! These powders are cheaper than getting more protein through eating more meat or fish too.
The sauces are a blend of herbs and spices, combined with 20 grams of pure pea protein in every serving. Savoury range, including flavours like Tomato & Chorizo, Mexican Stew and Thai Curry, help to turn any recipe into a healthy, cost-effective, protein-rich meal. You mix with water, microwave and add to your meal (or you can mix with boiling water and you’re good to go!)
I have tried adding the that curry sauce to a stir-fry and it tasted just like our stir fry normally does – everyone was happy to eat it. I have also tried adding the Mexican version to a taco soup recipe, for added protein.
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional depending how spicy you like it)
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 portion of Blend Bros. Mexican Pibil Stew
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tin of sweetcorn
- 2 tins of beans (your choice – black beans or pinto beans work well), drained and rinsed
- Cook the minced beef in a large along with chopped onion, stirring occasionally until browned and adding the red chilli and garlic during last few minutes of browning. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, Blend Bros, Sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot with lid and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in corn, black beans and pinto beans and cook until heated through. Add 1/2 cup water to thin soup if desired.
- Serve warm topped with any toppings, if desired, such as avocado, tortilla chips and cheese.
I think these sauces are really good and will carry on using them. They don’t make the food taste strange or anything but piece of mind knowing you are getting a protein packed meal. If you exercise quite a lot, I would recommend these, instead of always having cold protein shakes. Now you can get the protein boost but in the form of a meal.
You can buy the sauces online from Amazon & MuscleFood – a 990g tin is £19.99.
*the samples were gifted in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.