This is a pretty easy recipe. It’s not much to look at but it’s really yummy and makes a great tea-time treat. The not-so-secret ingredient is courgette – so much yummier than you might think!
What you will need:
– 1 courgette, trimmed
– 225g unsalted butter, softened
– 225g caster sugar
– zest of 1 lemon
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 4 eggs
– 225g self raising flour
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
What to do:
1. Heat the oven to 180c / gas 4. Grate the courgette.
2. Beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
3. Add 2 eggs and beat. Add a little of the flour and beat again.
4. Add the remaining eggs and a little more flour and mix in well.
5. Fold in the grated courgette , with the remaining flour and baking powder.
6. Spoon the mixture into a greased 20cm cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven for about half an hour. Then cover with foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
7. Cool and enjoy. You could serve it with a lemon icing using icing sugar, lemon curd and soft cheese but that will add up the calories.