This is a pretty easy recipe. It’s not much to look at but it’s really yummy and makes a great tea-time treat. The not-so-secret ingredient is courgette – so much yummier than you might think!
What you will need:
– 1 courgette, trimmed
– 225g unsalted butter, softened
– 225g caster sugar
– zest of 1 lemon
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 4 eggs
– 225g self raising flour
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
What to do:
1. Heat the oven to 180c / gas 4. Grate the courgette.
2. Beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
3. Add 2 eggs and beat. Add a little of the flour and beat again.
4. Add the remaining eggs and a little more flour and mix in well.
5. Fold in the grated courgette , with the remaining flour and baking powder.
6. Spoon the mixture into a greased 20cm cake tin and bake in the middle of the oven for about half an hour. Then cover with foil and bake for another 20 minutes.
7. Cool and enjoy. You could serve it with a lemon icing using icing sugar, lemon curd and soft cheese but that will add up the calories.
BlogLovin’ | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
What does courgette taste like? I’ve never used it.
It doesn’t add much of a taste to the cake (hence the lemon) but makes it really moist. I guess it’s called a zucchini if you’re American
Haha OH. Okay! That makes much more sense now. Thank you!!
This sounds good!
I’d recommend it!
OK, I’ve read the recipe and I reckon that even I can follow it…but I still can’t get round the idea that courgette is in there!!! I suppose it’s like carrot in a carrot cake. The proof will be in the pudding I guess!
it’s yummy – honestly 😉
Wow would have never have thought courgette would work 🙂
After getting into parenting blogging last year I am now branching out into recipes starting with BQQ ideas so its really helpful to see how peeps write up their recipes 🙂
I’ve added a plug in now so my recipes should look a bit smarter
Love adding veggies to cakes-beetroot and chocolate are good together too and this looks yummy! Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays
Thank you x
Beautiful! I always forget how great courgette cake is. Thanks again for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x
Thanks Helen x
I made a courgette cake once previously but it used vegetable oil and was rather greasy in texture, but I like the sound of your recipe using butter.
Angela – Garden Tea Cakes and Me