In an effort to eat ‘cleaner’, use less sugar and shift a few pounds, I have trying all sorts of different recipes recently, using things like coconut oil and nut butters. I usually do my ‘big shop’ on a Monday so last Sunday evening there wasn’t much in the house. But I had almond butter, coconut oil and oats in the cupboard – put it all together and got these seriously delicious snack / breakfast bars.
They keep you full for longer as it is all made up of proper food and you don’t get a sugar high. If you make it as I have then it is vegan and gluten free, but obviously you can use regular oats if you’re not gluten-free and use honey and chocolate chips to mix in if you’re not bothered about the vegan thing (I’m not vegan but try to eat vegan ‘sweet’ things).
They work perfectly for my hubby’s breakfasts on the go and the kids have been eating them too. And bonus, they don’t need to be baked so don’t take long to make, at all.
Gluten-Free Oat, Almond & Coconut Oil Snack Bars
- 2/3 cup Coconut Oil
- 2/3 cup Almond Butter (or your favourite nut butter)
- 2/3 Agave Nectar (you can use honey)
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Oats
- Any Mix-Ins you like – I use a handful of raisins and a tablespoon of chia seeds but you could use desiccated coconut, chopped nuts or chocolate chips, for example
- Put the coconut oil, almond butter and nectar in a microwaveable bowl and microwave for about a minute, until the coconut oil has melted (you can use them in a glass bowl over a pan of boiling water if you would rather, stirring until it is melted). Stir well.
- If adding chocolate chips leave the oil mixture to cool slightly, then stir in your oats and mix-ins.
- When it is all mixed together, spread in a baking tray (greased or with greaseproof paper) and then leave to cool in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving.
Linking up to: