Since the launch of her business, Tokunbo’s Kitchen, 2 years ago, Tokunbo Koiki has successfully operated at 6 street food festivals, hosted 9 pop-up and supper clubs events and completed 3 in-house chef residencies. In 2017 the business hosted an on-going residency at a Boutique hotel in North London with 80 – 100 covers per service, serving Nigerian Food and many a recipe, to a demographic that had never tasted many of the dishes that were on the menu.
Ultimately she would love to feed the likes of John Boyega and Anthony Joshua, proud British-Nigerians who are making waves internationally but for now she’s happy to feed the world, and you. my lovely readers!
If you are interested in giving some Nigerian inspired food a go, then then this recipe from Tokunbo is for you. A quick recipe to make, it can make a winning meal on a weeknight!
Grilled Mackerel with Ata Din Din (fried pepper sauce)
- 2-3 Whole Mackerel – cut into 3 pieces each
- 3-4 fresh lemons
- 3-4 bell peppers
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 medium red onion (half chopped)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Run water over fish inside and out. Then use paper towels to dry it up.
- Season fish with salt, pepper and squeeze some lemon over it.
- Grill fish in oven for 10-15 minutes
- Add peppers and half onion into a blender. Process into a coarse almost smooth texture. Pour mixture into a strainer to drain out excess water.
- Fry the remaining chopped onions in oil until golden. Add pepper mixture and seasoning. Stir to combine. Add salt as required. Leave to simmer on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Add grilled mackerel to your ata din din. Simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with grilled plantain.
Doesn’t it just look and sound amazing?! Would love to hear if you give this simple and quick tasty family meal a try!