If I was to sum up life at the moment, it would be busy. This time of year is busy anyway, but add to that running two businesses, one of which only launched three weeks ago, as well as normal family life, then busy barely cuts it. And for anyone that knows me will know, I am a bit of a perfectionist. I like to be in control of things too, so when life is like this, I find it hard to relax and get quite a bit stressed as I think about all that needs to be done. I like to be hands-on in my work, but it does lead to stressing out.
Overall, I don’t think I am too bad at self-care. For some health issues that I have, I made a promise to myself to make this year a much better year for self-care and for practicing things like mindfulness. So I have reflexology sessions pretty regularly, once every two weeks really, I go to the gym, and do have time out by myself (usually at the weekends, because you know, kids).
I do find when I am stressed or just generally busy, that I carry a lot of tension in my shoulders. Plus, being on a computer for several hours a day for work, my posture really isn’t the greatest. Add in some stress and it is pretty tight across the top of my back.
I have had massages before and really enjoyed them, so when Chennelle from Guildford Holistic Massage got in touch to see if I would be interested in a massage, I was keen to give it a go. Any excuse to be forced to relax and de-stress a little. The fact that she travels right you your home is such a bonus too.
Chennelle is qualified in a number of massage techniques, from pregnancy massage, to Swedish massage, to hot stone, and massages for couples, there is choice for everyone and for whatever kind of thing you are looking to do. I chose a hot stone massage as I had never had one before, and was really curious to how it all worked.
The pictures that you see of stones just laid out on your back at different pressure points is how some therapists will do it, but with Chennelle it was that she used the hot stones in her hands to massage you. The heat gives a deeper massage, and in all honesty, it felt amazing. It was lovely with the cool weather that we’ve been having too to get all warm and relaxed.
What I loved:
- Chennelle comes right you your house and sets it all up. I was really impressed by the attention to detail of the set up as well. From flowers on the massage bed, to room spray, soft music, and candles to create a relaxing ambience, much like it would be if you went to a spa. All brought and arrange by her, so you literally just need some space for her to set up in.
- I also really liked how honest and straightforward Chennelle was with the appointment. The massage was an hour long, and in the mini-consolation before the massage, she was realistic in what she said. For example, she talked about how when she says full-body for a massage, it means back, shoulders, neck, arms, legs, and feet, and she’d spend equal time on each. But as I was more focused on my shoulders and back, I was glad she had said that, otherwise I would have just said go for full-body. Instead, I pretty much skipped the feet and legs, and focused more on the upper half of my body.
- Having had quite a few massages in my life (and have even worked in a health club and took bookings for massage therapists), I know that the prices at Guildford Holistic Massage are really competitive and reasonably priced. To say that it includes travel of up to around thirty minutes from Guildford, it really is reasonably priced. Prices starting from £30.
- I do quite like to have massages that are quite firm and really work on knots and niggles, so I liked that Chennelle would check the pressure was ok, as well as checking that the heat of the stones was all ok as well. I know I’ve had massages in the past before where they don’t really check, of if you say you want more or less pressure, and then they don’t really change. So Chennelle listened to what I said, which was a bonus.
- The aftercare of the massage was great too. I was given a card with tips and recommendations of things to do or things to avoid in the following days following the massage, so the toxins can be released from the body. I thought the card to give out was a nice touch so I had the physical reminder, I put it on my board and had the physical reminder. So I think that helped me to make the most of the massage as I looked after myself properly afterwards as a result.
All in all I would really recommend Guildford Holistic Massage as the attention to detail was brilliant. The massage was great and really relaxing, and it was executed in a friendly but professional manner, letting her expertise shine through.
Have you ever had a hot stone massage before? What do you do for self-care? It would be great to hear what you think.
*the massage was gifted in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.