Time is ticking and you’re twiddling your thumbs – in-flight boredom has struck. Shorter haul flights mean you don’t get in-flight entertainment. And if you don’t have children to entertain, then what to do? Now might be the perfect time to do that crossword or sudoku puzzle that you grabbed at the airport and threw in your hand luggage. But one thing is missing, a pen! Having the perfect pen when you travel is pretty essential. What better time to brainstorm business ideas or let your creative juices flow than on an aeroplane?
For the highly practical folk, it’s time to get organised for your holiday too. Why not write up a holiday agenda or bucket list? You could use a map to mark out the best order of seeing the sites. Perhaps you’re staying in a villa and you’d like to make a budget, meal plan or shopping list?
Having a pen, like this Hugo Boss pen from Pen Heaven, in your hand luggage, so that in a moment of list writing crisis, your trusty pen will always be there. And yes, of course you can write a list on your phone, but is it really the same as individualised handwriting? We often rely on technology to such a degree that we forget that not everything can be done on one’s tablet. Plus, you never know when you’ll be able to recharge your phone when you’re travelling. You may have an immigration form to fill in too; no smartphone can do that for you.
Here are some more essentials for your summer hand luggage – is there anything else you would add to the list?
- Important documents: boarding pass, passport, flight itinerary and transportation or accommodation plans, including a paper address of where you’re staying. You will need this for immigration forms and it may be helpful for with taxi drivers too.
- Of course you need a perfectly sized, practical and classy hand luggage bag. But I’d also recommend taking a rucksack, that way you can use it for day trips once you arrive at your destination. Whether you decide to use the rucksack as your hand luggage or put it inside a bigger piece of hand luggage bag is up to you. Rucksacks are practical as well as on trend so embrace them.
- Clear bag for your toiletries; hand lotion, lip balm, deodorant, toothbrush and mini-toothpaste are some of the suggested necessities. Also face wipes to help you freshen up; it’s easy to feel groggy after a trip in the sky and planes tend to dry us out, rehydration moisturiser is a top tip. Remember, 100ml bottles only!
- When you get off the plane and pop to the loo at the airport, don’t worry if your reflection is frazzled. A little Mascara will go a long way and open up your tired eyes.
- You’ll be desperate for a shower but at this point spare undies are the next best thing! It’s also a good idea to pack a change of clothes or two, just in case your checked bag goes walkies.
- The same applies for valuables such as jewellery, your purse or wallet, money, camera and keys. It’s safer and more comforting to keep them within your reach.
- A book you’ve been dying to read and a travel playlist will ease some of your boredom.
- When you’re feeling sleepy, ear plugs and an eye mask are winners. If you’re there for the long haul, a travel pillow or blanket could help get you in that zone.
- Don’t forget a cardigan. It can get chilly up in the air, so although you may have packed solely swimwear and summer tees, an extra layer in the air ease your goosebumps.
So, we have provided you with a go to list for just about every time you need to pack your hand luggage! Happy flying!