Any homeowner will tell you that there are always jobs to be done around the house. We are forever renovating, renewing or retouching. Whether fashions change and you want to keep up, or you’re bored with the white walls around you, there seems to always be a mental to do list; an extremely long, and expensive to do list for your home.
We stick to it though, because there’s just nothing more satisfying than a home improvement project or a dramatic before and after. Whether it’s fresh new windows, or uPVC bifold doors, there isn’t anything better than wowing guests with your creative interior style, or simply cozying up on the sofa and admiring your handy work.
If you feel it’s time to make a few adjustments, here are eight top tips for refreshing the home:
- A lick of paint goes a long way. Whether it’s just a fresh coat of neutral to allow your furniture to really stand out, or a bold feature wall, roll up your sleeves because you’re about to get messy.
- Instead of buying more, rearrange. Faffing with accessories and moving bits around can sometimes be the change we need. Work out which rooms you spend most time in, and make sure your favourite vases or pictures are in good eye shot.
- It’s a good idea to have a sideboard or a console table to hold your centrepieces. You can use it to show off your flowers, lamps, vases or fruit bowls which you can update as and when you like.
- The home is ultimately a place to showcase how you are, so whether it’s pictures of your wedding day, your kids or your favourite landscapes, a gallery wall is fundamental to maintaining sentimentality in your home.
- Often we might fancy a change in the living room and although it’s tempting, it may not be acceptable to buy a new sofa once a quarter! But what you can do is update your accessories. Accessorise according to the holidays and seasons. We’re talking cushions and throws, little pops of colour that change the whole dynamic from winter burgundy’s to spring pinks.
- Upcycle; If you’re bored of that tired chest of drawers you’ve had for over a decade, but can’t justify getting rid as it’s in perfect working order, a lick of paint will make a world of difference and save you some pennies.
- Flooring can really transform a room. I mean, we know what kind of a statement a patterned 1950’s carpet can make, but imagine the satisfaction of ripping it up and replacing it with something modern and clean. 1950’s carpet is never a good idea.
- Lighting; there are so many ways to bring light into your homes. Natural light through a conservatory, orangery, large windows or bifold doors will make your home brighter and happier. If you don’t have this luxury, just remember there is no such thing as too many candles. Grab a few extra lamps, both day and night lighting is imperative for an insta-perfect home.
Take on board a few of these tips over the coming weeks and months and have fun with it! Go with your gut; perhaps you’re feel daring, in which case go for something different and you may fall in love with the outcome. Then, the best bit, sit back and enjoy the outcome.