We love granola in this house and we love granola, so this is a perfect recipe for you all to try. South African apples and pears are seasonal in UK summers so that is a yummy bonus too!
Apple and Pear Granola
- 250g jumbo porridge oats
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g sesame seeds
- 50g poppy seeds
- 50g soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 100g hazelnuts or almonds, roughly chopped
- 100g dried apricots, chopped
- 100g sultanas or raisins
- South African apple and pear, to serve
- Natural yogurt or milk
- Clear honey, to drizzle
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6
2. Mix together the porridge oats, seeds, sugar, oil and nuts. Spread out onto a large baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes, turning the mixture twice during the cooking time. Cool completely.
3. Stir the apricots and sultanas or raisins into the mixture, then transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 1 month.
4. To serve, spoon some granola into a bowl and top with chopped South African apple and pear. Serve with natural yogurt and/or milk, and drizzle with a little clear honey.
* Cook’s tip: Vary the granola as you like – try adding dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries to the mixture instead of sultanas or raisins; or as well as! Bought granola can be surprisingly high in sugar and fat – and it’s so easy to make your own.