I love to cook and I love food. There is no surprise there.
What I also love is healthy food and food that doesn’t take too long to cook. Some days I have extra time to make something fancy. Most of the time, though, I am short on time and don’t want to resort to getting something quick and easy like a pizza.
Merchant Gourmet have a variety of grains and pulses that are ready to go, to throw in a salad or a wrap. You can eat them hot or cold and I think they are just fab. So convenient and pretty healthy really. To kick start the New Year, Merchant Gourmet, have teamed up with the UK’s youngest female Executive Chef, TV personality and published author, Sophie Michell, to launch the nationwide ‘Eat Well Live Well’ campaign. This ‘New Year, New You’ collaboration is all about starting healthy habits by inspiring the nation to get cooking with pulses and grains.
They have flavoured grains, including the Mexican flavoured grains below. This was really yummy as the flavour is already added. Other grain packs are the ready cooked rice or quinoa and not all of them have flavour. It was so nice to just add into with some salad and have it all together in a wholemeal wrap. Really yummy! The other flavours you can get are Thai and Indian favoured grains, as well as tomato and basil puy lentils, porcini and thyme lentils, moroccan cos cous and sun blush tomato spelt. Drooling at the thought (told you, love food)!
They have a range of other grains and pulses too including quinoa, lentils, spelt and a few mixed grain options.
What I liked:
- I was mega impressed by the large variety of products available
- each pouch is a little over £1 up to £2 so I think the prices for the grains and pulses are good (snack pots are a little more expensive but still worth it). You are paying a little more for convenience but it isn’t breaking the bank
- all you have to do is tear open a packet. You can heat in a microwave for a minute or so or in a pan for a few minutes. So quick compared to cooking grains yourself
- the taste – they are really tasty. Don’t seem stale or dry at all
- they are versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. There are some recipe ideas here as well as just having in salads or in wraps
- they are all low in fat and low in sugar but high in fibre
- they are suitable for vegetarians and in most cases, vegans
What I wasn’t as keen on:
- Literally nothing. I’m very happy with this range of products, though it would be nice to see some purely gluten-free packs going forward. I try to eat gluten-free as much as I can, though I don’t have an allergy to it.
Have you ever tried Merchant Gourmet products before? I would definitely recommend them for busy parents looking for healthy, family foods.
*the items were gifted in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and words are my own.