National Vegetarian Week starts today, and runs all week, as you might imagine. But even if you’re not veggie, reducing your meat intake can be good for you, the environment, and your wallet. I haven’t eaten meat since February, and haven’t looked back.
So here is a quick an easy one pan dish to give a try. This one-pan layered dish is super-quick to prepare. Satisfying comfort food with all the best toppings! Who said that vegetarian food has to taste bland?
Loaded Mexican Tortilla Pan
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped into chunks
- 1 courgette, chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 red or green chilli, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins of good-quality chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of kidney beans or mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 25g of vegetarian Cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp double cream
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp soured cream
You will also need:
- 2 flour tortillas
- 100g of mixed vegetarian Cheddar cheese and vegetarian Red Leicester cheese, grated
- 1 ripe avocado, de-stoned, scooped out and sliced
- ½ small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced
- Small bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- In a large frying pan, heat up the oil over a medium heat and add in the onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions start to soften.
- Add in the garlic, yellow pepper and courgette. Stir and cook for 2 minutes, then add the cumin, cinnamon, ground coriander and chilli. Stir and cook for another minute, then stir in the tinned tomatoes, kidney or mixed beans, honey, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, whilst you mix your cheese sauce.
- In a bowl, mix the 25g cheese, double cream, salt, pepper and soured cream. This is your cheese sauce – it will be a thick, spreadable consistency.
- Now it’s time to layer up. Spoon out half of your vegetable sauce from the pan, into a bowl, and flatten out the remaining sauce in the pan. Place one tortilla on top of the sauce in the pan, then spread half of the cheese sauce on top of the tortilla. Top with the remaining vegetable sauce from the bowl. Then place your second tortilla on top, followed by the rest of the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle on the 100g mixed cheese and place the pan on a medium-to-high heat for a minute until the sauce starts to bubble.
- Place the pan under a grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve from the pan, topped with avocado, red onion, the sliced chilli and fresh coriander.
Note: If you’re looking to lower the fat levels of this recipe, use reduced fat cheddar cheese and reduced fat soured cream.
*Recipe provided by Kitchen Sanctuary in partnership with the Vegetarian Society*