A lot of foods that I have mentioned in the lunches will obviously work for main evening meals too. So check that out for a few more ideas. But additionally, here are some recipe ideas for main meal foods, that will keep your blood sugar level and be good for you.
I find that one of the hardest things about eating a certain way is when you have meals for the family to prepare too. But all of these would work well with kids and other family members too. So much easier when you only have one meal to prepare each evening!
- grilled salmon fillet
- squeeze of lemon juice or 1 tsp of tamari
- steamed mixed vegetables
- ¾ cup brown rice
- mixed greens and salad leaf
- 1 tomato, chopped
- grilled steak strips
- cucumber, chopped
- coriander, chopped, to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, mixed together to make a dressing
- whole wheat pita, roughly chopped and grilled for a few minutes to make pitta chips
Lentil & Vegetable Soup
Ingredients ( to serve two):
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 cup dry red or green lentils
- 400ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g chopped tim tomatoes
- 1.5 cups water
What to do:
- Dice carrots, celery, and onion; mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat; add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring, just until garlic begins to brown.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes with their liquid, dry lentils, stock, and the 1.5 cups water; stir with spoon to break up tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 50 minutes.
- Just before serving, you can stir in some spinach if liked, just until it is wilted.
If you want to read some other posts in this series, you can read them here:
Hope this has been helpful!