This is a lovely seasonal recipe that although it looks like it needs a lot of ingredients, you probably have a lot of them already in the cupboard at home. They are so yummy!
Spanish Persimon, Cranberry & Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3 ripe Spanish Persimon
- 280g plain flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 120g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 50g light soft brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 50g rolled oats
- 85g dried cranberries
- 50g plain or white chocolate, roughly chopped, or chips
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas mark 4.
2. Finely chop 1 persimon. With the remaining 2, scoop the flesh out of their skin and purée or mash with a fork.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and spices together. Set aside.
4. Cream the butter, caster sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy, using a hand-held electric mixer.
5. Add the egg and beat until combined.
6. Add the chopped persimon and persimon purée and mix well with a wooden spoon, then add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
7. Stir in the oats, dried cranberries, chocolate and orange zest until the mixture is a uniform consistency.
8. Using half the mixture, heap 6 spoonfuls of dough onto each of 2 baking sheets lined with greaseproof paper, and spread them out with the back of a spoon or palette knife.
9. Bake towards the centre of the oven until almost firm and golden brown, approximately 14 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack. Repeat with the remaining mixture.