Winter can be a great time for warming comfort foods. But if you’re in the market for something a little lighter, then how about a salad? It works well as a main meal, but also could work as a dish on a festive buffet table.
This lively salad is bursting with wonderful, good-for-you flavourful foods!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 400g sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 125g red or white quinoa
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 2 cooked beetroot (not in vinegar), chopped
- 2 Spanish Persimon, chopped
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp cider vinegar
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g butter
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas Mark 6. Put the sweet potato chunks and red onion into a roasting tin and toss with 2tbsp olive oil. Season, sprinkle with the cumin seeds and roast for 20 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, simmer the quinoa with a pinch of salt in double the volume of water for 15-20 minutes for red quinoa and 8-10 minutes for white. Turn off the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard and a little salt and pepper. Add the quinoa and tip in the sweet potatoes and onion. Gently mix in the avocado, beetroot and Persimon.
- For the croutons, melt the butter in a frying pan and gently fry the bread on both sides until crisp and golden. Use a star-shaped cutter to cut into shapes, or simply slice into cubes. Serve, sprinkled on the salad.
Cook’s tip: You could use butternut squash instead of sweet potato if you’d prefer.
Would love to hear if you give this a go? It is filling, but fairly light and fresh.
Pin me for later!