Spanish Picota cherries are cherries that are unique to Spain’s Jerte Valley, and are protected by a denomination of origin (DO) certificate. This shows how the fruit has been grown, harvested and packed under rigorous quality control procedures. Picota is an exclusive product that is distinguished by its flavour and sweetness, and they have a dark red colour, and have a more fleshy, crunchy texture than many other varieties of cherries. The variety is only available in UK supermarkets from mid-June until the beginning of August, so now is the perfect time to get some and try them in some tasty recipes.
Not only are Picota cherries delicious, they also have many health benefits. As a 100% natural product, they are extremely nutritious containing flavonoids, vitamins and powerful antioxidants. Eaten fresh on their own, or in many sweet and savoury dishes, Picota cherries are a delicious summertime treat – so be sure to catch them while you can! How about tying these Picota cherry pancakes are perfect for a quick, easy, budget-friendly dessert. And they taste amazing too!
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 300g Picota cherries
- 120g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 large egg
- 120ml milk
- 100g Greek-style plain yoghurt
- 30g caster sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- A few drops of vegetable oil
- Reserve a few cherries for decoration, then pit and chop the rest.
What To Do:
- Put the flour, salt, egg, milk and yoghurt into a large mixing bowl with 2tsp caster sugar. Whisk together to make a smooth batter. Stir in half the chopped cherries.
- Simmer the remaining chopped cherries with 100ml water, the rest of the caster sugar and the vanilla extract for 3-4 minutes. Puree in a blender, or use a hand-held stick blender to make a smooth sauce. Keep warm.
- Heat a few drops of vegetable oil in a pancake pan. Make about 16 small pancakes in total, cooking in batches for 1-2 minutes until the batter has set on the surface, then flipping them over to cook the other sides. Keep the pancakes in a warm place as you cook them.
- Share the pancakes between 4 warm serving plates and top with the cherry sauce and reserved whole cherries.
If you like, serve with whipped cream, crème fraiche, Greek-style yoghurt or ice-cream. Pure yumminess! It would be great to hear what you think and if you give these a go.
*post in collaboration.