This really is a peachy breakfast, if you’re looking for something different to have when you’ve got family over this Christmas. It’s healthy and sustaining, making you feel full all morning – and it provides your body with good nutrition. I mean, you’ve got to have something good before you go on to eat chocolate for lunch, right? 😉
The poached fruit can be made ahead of time, as can the oaty granola, so then you can just serve with yogurt when you’re ready to eat. just make sure you keep things in an air-tight container if they are being made ahead of time.
Poached Peach and Plum Festive Breakfast
Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus overnight soaking
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 2 South African peaches, pitted and sliced
- 4 South African plums, pitted and sliced
- Finely grated zest of ½ lemon
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 150g rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp sultanas or raisins
- 50g whole almonds, chopped
- 1 South African apple (such as a Pink Lady or Granny Smith), grated
- 400ml almond milk
- 4tbsp thick Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
What To Do:
- Put the South African peaches and plums into a saucepan with the lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 100ml water. Heat and simmer gently until the fruit is soft – about 5 minutes. Cool, then refrigerate.
- Toast the rolled oats in a dry frying pan, or sprinkle them onto a baking sheet and toast them under the grill until lightly browned. Mix them with the remaining sugar, chia seeds, sultanas or raisins, almonds, grated apple and almond milk (or regular milk). Stir well, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, serve portions of the breakfast topped with thick Greek yogurt and the poached fruits, with the juice spooned over.
Cook’s tip: Take care when toasting the oats – they can soon burn!
Have you got many plans for the festive period? Will you be off work? Nothing better than a good breakfast to start the day off, working or not! Would love to hear what you think to this recipe and if you decide to give this a go.
Oh gosh this sounds delicious and I love that it uses almond milk. Yum.
I’ve never tried poached peaches and plums before, but it looks so delicious in the photo. I love peaches and plums, so I think I’m going to try this one out.
This looks delicious – what a lovely breakfast treat. Kaz
This sounds really tasty. Love peaches so I know i’d like this. Do you think it would taste the same with coconut flavoured milk rather than almond milk?