Eating seasonally is one of the best things that you can do for get tasting food. If you’ve ever had some strawberries around Christmas time, for instance, you will know exactly what I mean. They don’t taste anywhere near as good as when they do when they are grown in their natural season. So having the best tasting food is one of the main reasons to eat in season.
One of the foods that are in season at the moment are Jersey Royal new potatoes. They are found in supermarkets, such as Tesco, right now, and make a great addition to any meal or side dish. Not only are Tesco Jersey Royals tasty, earthy, and delicious nutty taste, but they are a real sign that spring has finally arrived (a little late thanks to the ‘Beast from the East’ and all of that joyous snow in March).
They are a food that were a staple in our house growing up, especially for a spring time Sunday dinner. My dad lived on the island of Jersey for about six months or so, during the spring and summer, when he was in his twenties. And as a result, Jersey Royal potatoes are one of my dad’s favourite things, and we all grew to love them too. As the name suggests, they can only be grown on the island of Jersey, so they are a little luxury for your spring and early summer meals.
Another interesting fact about them is that as a result of only being grown in Jersey, they are the only potato that carries the EU Protected Designation of Origin mark of authenticity, much like Cornish clotted cream or Stilton cheese. No one else can claim to call them Jersey Royals, unless they are from Jersey.
Jersey Royal new potatoes are ideal for boiling or steaming, as they are in this recipe, but are equally versatile for roasting too. So for a springtime meal, they are really good option. Inexpensive, versatile, and tasty.
Other foods that are in season at the moment are:
- Vegetables: asparagus, broccoli, carrots, peas, radishes, rocket, samphire, spinach, spring onions, watercress
- Fruits: bananas, kiwi fruit, rhubarb
- Herbs: basil, chives, coriander, dill, oregano, mint, parsley, rosemary, sage
So for this recipe, I have aimed to include a few of these things, so that you know you’re going to get a tasty recipe, with the foods that are in season.
Rainbow & Jersey Royal New Potato Salad
- ¼ cup olive oil (rapeseed oil works well for a lighter flavour too)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp dried basil (and some extra to serve)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large cucumber, halved and sliced
- 4 vine ripened cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced into bitesize pieces
- ½ red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 x 450g pack Tesco Baby Jersey Royal Potatoes
- 2 handfuls of bayleaf spinach
What To Do:
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in jug or jar.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, and slice the potatoes into half while it boils. Add the potatoes once the water is boiling, sprinkle with a pinch of salt if required. Cook until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes once cooked, and leave to cool off.
- Then, simply mix together all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Season with extra salt only if you need it (depending how salty your feta cheese is). To serve, sprinkle over extra basil (optional).
- The good thing with this is that you can eat it as it is, or add some chicken, fish, lamb, feta, or avocado – the options are endless!
I would love to hear if you give this recipe a go! You can get Jersey Royal New Potatoes from Tesco, and they are available to buy now, until around July, depending on stock. Such a bargain price and a tasty way to feed the family.
*post in collaboration – but all opinions are my own.
I’ve just bookmarked this recipe, it looks so delish and I know my kids would love it too
Yum, that looks so good! I love jersey royals, they just make me think of summer. Lovely!
I’ve saved this recipe. It looks delicious. We love a potato salad (and always try and buy jersey royals). Never made a rainbow salad before so defo going to try it x
Mmm I do love a good new potato! Potato salads are an essential part of summer, too – love your recipe!
Elizabeth recently posted…A Simple Creamy Seafood Chowder Recipe
New potatoes are so delicious and your recipe looks so fresh and definitely my kind of thing! (And vegan too!)
This looks like a great BBQ food, I love a good potato salad x
I love Jersey Royal new potatoes! I haven’t tried them in a salad so I might have to give your recipe a go.
Becky Jarratt recently posted…Just can’t let go
This sounds delicious! Definitely something to serve at our next BBQ x
Charli Bruce recently posted…Fathers Day Gift Ideas from Tateossian
Ooh, I love a good salad, and this one looks delicious! Jersey Royals are my favourite potatos as well. They’re so tasty 🙂
Louise recently posted…The Gifts to Buy this Father’s Day
I cherish Jersey Royal new potatoes! I haven’t attempted them in a plate of mixed greens so I may need to give your formula a go.