You might not think for avocados go well in baking, but they really do. They are so creamy and delicious. So they make a great addition in most food groups. These delicious savoury muffins are perfect for breakfast or brunch – and they’re great for packed lunches or picnics too.
They are pretty simple to make and don’t take much time either. They can store in an air-tight container too. The topping needs to be a little fresher, though, so perhaps make that as and when you want it. It is easy to make the recipe suited to any free-from needs that you have, such as gluten-free or egg-free. Just swap around the flour that you use or use things like flax eggs or chia seed eggs.
Savoury Hass Avocado Muffins
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Makes 8 muffins
For the muffins:
- 200g self-raising flour
- 4 eggs (or flax / chia eggs)
- 125ml milk of your choice
- 80ml vegetable oil
- 50g sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 80g feta cheese, cut into 8 chunks (optional)
For the topping:
- 3 ripe hass avocados, halved, pitted and peeled
- 200g soft cheese
- Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
What to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, beat together the flour, eggs, milk and oil, using a hand whisk to give a smooth batter. Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, then push a feta cheese cube into each one, making sure the pieces are covered by the mixture. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool.
- Meanwhile, mash or blend 2 hass avocados to make a smooth purée, then beat in the soft cheese and lemon or lime juice until smooth and creamy. Spoon on top of the muffins and serve at once, garnished with thin slices of avocado.
If you’re making the muffins for a packed lunch or picnic, put the topping into a separate container for spreading on top later. Otherwise they’ll get a bit soggy and look a bit of a mess.
Enjoy! I’ve love to hear if you give them a go.