With the countdown to Christmas on, (there, I said it), I don’t know many people that aren’t interested in making a little extra cash. The coming months are likely to be times that you need more money than usual, with colder temperatures and events like Halloween, Christmas, and the New Year. But if you don’t fancy getting a second job or working longer hours, then what can you do?
When I first became a stay-at-home parent, I was always looking for ways to supplement our income. Going from two to one was pretty tough! But one way that I managed to declutter the house, as well as generate extra cash, was through eBay. Selling the things we no longer needed online was straightforward and did give us a little income, for all of those nappies and wipes! I found it much easier to sell on eBay than selling groups online, because it was just so much easier to keep track of. You can also get a good idea of what items might go for, to see if it is going to be worth your while. Not to mention the millions of users that eBay has; you’re likely to have much more interested on a site like eBay. I have found it such a good place to sell.
But as of late, I kind of got out of the habit of getting things listed on eBay, even though our house is accumulating plenty of things that we no longer need. So recently, I downloaded the eBay app, to make it much more likely that I would get things listed. I always have my phone with me and it is much easier and quicker to take photographs on my phone, rather than having to use a separate camera and then uploading to my computer, to than put it online. Gah! The app has really helped; very quick and simple to use.
I chose to list a dress and a jumper recently, as I no longer have need of them. I used the app and it just talks you through every step of the way. You name your item; it gives you a category to place it under. You say what it is and it will give you a suggested postage cost. So handy if like me, you’ve not listed on there for a while, or even not at all. When you have an indicator of what the postage should be, it really helps you to decide. Uploading photos were easy and setting the description. Then it was quite fun to keep checking the app to see how many views or watchers the items had, as well as if there had been any bids. Another great thing about the app – you get notifications if there are updates.
When items are sold the whole process was simple and easy too. It tells you every step of what to do and when. You can mark it as dispatched and then it reminds you to leave feedback for the buyer. It is such a smooth process, and again, can all be done from the app (and on the website, of course). It’s fun getting feedback back, too.
So if you’re looking to try generating some extra money for new items or experiences, then it is worth giving eBay a try. Here are some of my tips and tricks for maximising the sale:
- List the post at the time of day that you want the auction to end. If you list it in the middle of the day but want it to end on a Sunday evening, then you need to be listing in the evening. If you adjust the time, then it adds extra listing costs, which you don’t want to do if you want to maximise the money you make.
- Write as much detail and description about the item as possible. If you write everything there is to know, then it means the buyer can’t come back and say that the description wasn’t accurate. Even if there is one tiny bobble on a cardigan or some slight discolouration on a rug, mention it and take a picture of it if you can.
- State your returns policy and what it involves. Will the buyer have to pay the cost if they just decide they don’t want it? Will you not accept returns at all, unless you haven’t described the items accurately?
- Paying for recorded delivery can be really beneficial. It means you can track the delivery and then a scam-buyer can’t come back and say that they have never received the items.
- Alongside that, you could always consider using a courier for the postage. You don’t pay any extra, just charge the buyer the right price.
- Choose words wisely in the title of the item. That is what can come up when people search for specific things, like black dress size 14. If you just write black dress, it isn’t likely to come up as close to the top of the search.
- A fair price is going to mean that your item is much more likely to sell. So look on the site already for similar items. In fact, when using the app, it will give you a suggested price deepening on the title you’ve give and the quality of the item stated (new or used etc).
- Reply to messages. If people have queries or questions then they are your customers. show them good customer service, who knows, it could mean repeat custom!
Have you ever used eBay before for selling you preloved or unwanted things? Any tips of tricks that you would add?
*I am a member of the Mumsnet Bloggers Panel, a group of parent bloggers who have volunteered to review products, services, events and brands for Mumsnet. I have not paid for the product or to attend an event. I have editorial control and retain full editorial integrity. I have received a voucher as a token of thanks for this post.
I really need to start Ebay selling. This is such a helpful post, I didn’t know about the app for one thing.
App is essential for quick listing! Glad this was helpful 🙂
I’ve spent the past few days clearing out the clutter and eBay listing. It’s a great way to make a few extra £. Your tips are really useful x
Thanks, glad it was useful!
I really need to get into the habit of selling things now I am at home, there must be so much in the loft I could get rid of now… I started trying to sell things on local groups and found it really hard so this might be a good option. X
Local groups can be great for quick and easy pick ups by local buyers but can be tricky as it doesn’t reach a wide audience sometimes. Hope this article was useful for you!
Some great tips! I have been toying with the idea of trying to sell all of our baby stuff. I can’t decide between having an instagram sale or selling on eBay x
Either way, we hope it’s a success! Glad you found these tips helpful!
I have only listed something on eBay once. I find it local selling website better. If you want to sell something you made or sell regularly definitely eBay.
In Germany they have something called eBay small ads which is for local people. Very handy.
Janine Dolan recently posted…BlogOn Xmas – The Best Conference around?
Wow! ebay makes you an online trader with few clicks and with in few minutes. I think this could be the good first step for any body wanting to venture into trading, this will give them a great idea of what works and what is in demand and how to cater to the vast market available.
Adam Sharpley recently posted…Residential vs Commercial Roofing: What’s the Difference?
I’ve been meaning to do this for such a long time! I have so much stuff I don’t use anymore and could use a good home! I’ll get round to it one day soon and hopefully I’ll remember your helpful tips when it comes down to it!
I love selling on Ebay, although treking to the post office isn’t always fun x
These are some great tips – I really need to get back to selling on eBay again
I go through phases of selling on eBay but often find the fees are a bit expensive, especially if your item doesn’t sell for much!
There are many online tools that can help you earn money fast. You need to know how to use those tools and how to earn money online. It is not as difficult as you think. You just need to be patient and have a good money making plan.
Selling on eBay is easy; however, very challenging at times, especially the first time. When I sold my first phone on eBay (many years ago), it was certainly a daunting task. But now Selling Phones” on eBay is like a walk through the park.
John Smith recently posted…Dropped Your Mobile Phone in the Water?
After reading this article about Making Money at Home By Selling on eBay , its very informative. To Sell Comic Books Online you have to know good place to Sell Because its depend your business.
I recommend you to read this blog which says “how To Sell Comic Books Online.”