Winter is a time where our bodies are generally more susceptible to illness; and due to the cold weather we also like to be able to hibernate largely at home and enjoy some good old comforting meals.
However, in the winter there is no excuse to fall off the ball when it comes to our health, and that’s why today we want to discuss some of the ways you can stay fit, healthy, and happy.
Wash your bed sheets often
It is super important to wash your bed sheets once every couple of weeks. In the winter there will likely be bugs going around between family members and this bacteria can easily get stuck in your bed sheets making them a hotspot for illness. Make sure to wash your sheets after anyone recovers from a cold or flu, and also be sure to give the pillows and duvet a good spray now and again.
Consider a checkup
It is so important when you are considering your health that you visit your doctor regularly. Many people don’t go for regular checkups and this is never a good thing because small issues might be missed that grow over time. Of course, there is help if you need urgent care, but some steps to maintain regular health is important. Give yourself a little MOT this christmas and make sure that you feel healthy and in top top shape before the festive season.
If things ever go wrong with your healthcare professional and you believe you have been falsely given a drug that has caused further illness, it is also imprints your act quickly here with a lawyer such as these:https://www.rosenfeldinjurylawyers.com/news/average-zantac-lawsuit-payout/. Be sure you know your body and what is going on with it this winter and you’ll be better equipped to handle it.
Get your flu jab
Another important step to take this winter is to get your flu jab. Flu jabs are offered every year, and for those most vulnerable they are free. However, for the rest of us there is a small cost and it is worth spending it for that all important peace of mind. Getting your flu jab will give you a layer of protection and immunity for the common flu strain and this will mean you are much less likely to succumb to this annoying illness this year.
Drink green tea
If you are looking for a beverage that will kick start your day and is also great for your health – look no further than green tea. Green tea is a low calorie drink that is full of natural vitamins and minerals. Made from crushed and dried leaves, it will give you a burst of caffeine in the morning without all of the dairy and sugar that you’ll get in your daily coffee. The great thing about green tea is that it will also boost your metabolism and make it easier for you to burn calories throughout the day.
Meal prep healthy foods
Eating the best foods for your body is one of the greatest ways to keep yourself healthy. In the winter, it can be difficult to find healthy recipes that satisfy us because a lot of us want warming pasta dishes or bread and soup – but there are still plenty of foods you can eat in the winter that are healthy as well as being warm.
Cod and vegetable rice
This simple and delicious recipe is under 400 calories per serving and it has a ton of protein in it to fuel your body the right way.
- 250g basmati rice
- 400ml vegetable stock
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful cashew nuts
- 50g peas
- 50g sweetcorn
- ¼ bell pepper, chopped
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 2 large cod fillets
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 200g tenderstem broccoli
- In a large saucepan, add your rice, vegetable stock, bell pepper, spring onion, and lemon zest. Also add the actual lemon sliced in half. Bring to a boil and then add a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add your peas and sweetcorn and nuts.
- Heat up a frying pan with some oil.
- Pat the cod fillets dry and sprinkle with salt, pepper, flour, and cayenne pepper on both sides.
- Add to the pan and fry for a few minutes on each side.
- Serve with some steamed tenderstem broccoli!
Mexican rice and coriander chicken
Meal prepping for a simple lunch is so important, and we have an amazing lunchtime treat for you all to enjoy this week. This simple rice and chicken dish is full of flavour as well as super healthy.
- 2 sachets packet Mexican rice (we use uncle bens)
- 500g mini breast fillets
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients. Add the chicken to a baking sheet and pour sauce over. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Once baked, uncover and then grill for a few minutes. Spoon over the sauce to help it stick.
- Chop your avocado and tomato into small pieces and mix together – for meal prep add this into a separate pot to add to the heated dish once warm.
- Pack up your rice and chicken into 4 tubs!