I know, I know, am I really talking about this right now? But in reality, we are so close to the end of January, that Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. And if you want to do something extra special and take a trip to London, then it can take some planning.
It is one of the top rated cities in the world, and it is easy to see why. As an adopted-southerner, I feel big love for London and am in town pretty regularly and my husband commutes in every day. The food, the music scene, the shopping, the history… there is something for everyone.
So here are some of the best things to do this Valentine’s Day in the city if you fancy doing something a little different.
Seeing the Sights
- Just outside of London in Surrey, there is Kew Gardens, which in itself you could spend a day. But their annual Orchid festival is on at this time of year, so why not take a stroll through all things pretty and floral on Valentine’s Day?
- Along the same lines, you could pick out a bunch of flowers for your love at the Columbia Road Flower Market. So much pretty.
- A trip to London isn’t complete without a trip the sea musical or a theatre show in the West End. From Lion King to Les Miserables, and Book of Mormon, there is something for every taste.
- Some of the museums in London open late (called Museum Late), and serve wine as you wander around. So why not check that out? It would work especially well for any first-daters out there.
- St. Pauls Cathedral is an amazing sight to behold. There are lots of great shopping and restaurants nearby to make the most of it. But really, you’re there to whisper “I love you” in the cathedrals Whispering Gallery. Tres romantic.
- If you love the Royals, the a trip to Kensington Palace is a must. With it being the home of the young Royals, you could even spot them as they’re out and about.
- I have always thought how fun and romantic it would be to go on the London Eye with your love at night. Plus, they have a London Eye Champagne Experience. I don’t drink, but this might work for you! Think of those amazing views!
- If you want to dine in high-style, the going to The Shard is a must. We have eaten at The Aqua Shard before and it was amazing. But how nice would it be to watch the sun set over the city?
- If you prefer to be out and about, then you could enjoy the sunset in some of London’s other amazing views. Pretty much a lovely night out with a warm drink taking a walk together, arm in arm, and taking in the views from Primrose Hill or Greenwich Park.
- tif you haven’t been to the Sky Garden, atop of the ‘walkie talkie’ building, then it needs to be on your list. It is free to go up, and you can drink and dine the night away with the high up views.
Adventures for Two
- My husband went on a London rib boat experience along the thames and loved it. So if you wanted to do something a little different (but have an excuse to hold hands, you know, due to being ‘scared’), then that could work for you. There are lots of providers, but his was with The Activity People.
- If you fancy being a little higher up, then a cheaper option could be using the Emirates Air Line cable car, all you need is your oyster card!
- For an adrenaline junkie, then the slide at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park could be a fun way to spend the day.
Where do you start with romantic places to eat in London? I mean, there are so many options. But some of the top picks are:
Sketch – with it alone for all of the pink and the stylish toilets. Yes, you heard that right!
Pin me for later!