The new year is often a time used to think about all that one wishes to achieve by setting motivational goals with hope to kick off 2018 with a bang. Goals might include self development, diet or lifestyle change. But for many of us, ‘new year, new home’ is the main topic on the agenda with our lists consisting of household jobs that need seeing too or interior projects that one would like to make time for.
Any homeowner will tell you that there are always jobs to be done around the house. We are forever renovating, renewing or retouching. Whether fashions change and you want to keep up, or you’re bored with the white walls around you, there always seems to be a mental to-do-list; an extremely long, and usually expensive to-do-list.
We stick to it though, because there’s just nothing more satisfying than a home improvement project or a dramatic before and after. Whether it’s fresh new doors or windows, there isn’t anything better than wowing guests with your creative interior style, or simply cozying up on the sofa and admiring your handy work.
If you feel it’s time to make a few adjustments, here are our six top tips for refreshing the home:
- Create a dramatic effect: Direct roof lanterns will give you the you the ultimate and unrivalled view from your home or extension with supreme aerial views. The combination of good design and precise engineering means that stunning roof lanterns can be fitted in almost every conceivable setting.
- Lighting; there are so many ways to bring light into your homes. Conservatories and orangeries have long been the preferred option for adding natural light to your home, but now aluminium lantern roofs can give you a whole new range of possibilities when it comes to transforming your home. High-grade aluminum is combined with PVC and precision engineering to create a wonderful product that can transform your existing flat roof.
- Candlelit: While cosy winter nights are still upon us grab a few extra lamps and just remember there is no such thing as too many candles. Both day and night lighting is imperative for the perfect home.
- A lick of paint goes a long way. Whether it’s just a fresh coat of neutral to allow your furniture to really stand out, or a bold feature wall, roll up your sleeves because you’re about to get messy. Fresh paint will really make a difference when buyers view your house.
- Often we might fancy a change in the living room and although it’s tempting, it may not be acceptable to buy a new sofa once a quarter! But what you can do is update your accessories. Accessorise according to the holidays and seasons. We’re talking cushions and throws, little pops of colour that change the whole dynamic from winter burgundy’s to spring pinks.
- Upcycle; If you’re bored of that tired chest of drawers you’ve had for over a decade, but can’t justify getting rid as it’s in perfect working order, a lick of paint will make a world of difference and save you some pennies.
Take on board a few of these tips and have fun with it! With a few changes and updates here and there, you’ll be sure to fall in love with your home all over again.