With the festive season approaching, you might be looking for some tasty desserts to try out for guests. When there is so much sugary chocolate going around, a vegan alternative, using tofu could be a good alternative for you.
Using a tofu press, it strains the excess liquid out of it, so it doesn’t make a watery mousse like you might think it might. You can use dark chocolate, or make your own, so it is pretty versatile to make it suitable for you and your dietary requirements.
Tofu Chocolate Mousse
Ingredients (Makes 4 large or 8 small portions)
- 300g silken tofu, gentle press for 10 mins
- 200g dark chocolate, melted (or make your own raw chocolate for a sugar-free version)
- 3 tbsp plant-based milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Fresh or frozen fruit to garnish – raspberries or strawberries work really well.
- Press the silken tofu on the lightest setting for a few minutes, you just need to extract the excess water so it doesn’t dilute the flavours of the mousse or make it too watery.
- Meanwhile, break the chocolate up and put in a bain marie or double boiler if you have either of those. If not, a heatproof glass bowl resting in a pan of boiling water works just as well. Stir gently as the chocolate melts and take off the heat when liquid.
- Place the melted chocolate in a blender or high-speed mixer along with the pressed tofu and all the other ingredients; the milk or cream, liqueur if you’re using it, maple syrup, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
- Mix until fully incorporated and silky smooth and pour into individual containers, and decorate with fresh fruit and extra grated chocolate.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat, preferably chill for an hour.
What do you think? Do you think you’ll give it a try? Would love to hear what you think!
*Thanks to Tofuture for the recipe.
Pin for later!
I’m not a vegan, but am intrigued by the idea of using tofu for a chocolate mousse so will definitely be giving this recipe a go! It looks yummy! xx
Vikki Holness recently posted…Tax Avoidance // The Heist No One Is Talking About
You’ll be surprised how yummy it is!
I’d have never even thought to use tofu in a pudding. May try and make these for my girls x
Delicious and vegan so suitable for everyone 🙂
These look delicious! I would never have thought of making mousse out of tofu. Ingenious xx
I know! Not sure who was the first to ever try it out but it works!