One of my all-time favourite cakes has to be for a lemon-drizzle cake. I remember my mum making up some from time to time, wrapping them up in foil and sending me back off to my University house with them. I was always popular with my housemates on those days. The tangy and sweet lemon taste is just divine. But now, when I think about how much refined sugar is in a traditional lemon drizzle cake, it makes me cringe. The drizzle is just basically sugar, right?
So if you are looking for an alternative recipe for a lemon drizzle cake, then there is a healthier version, that is also suitable for those with certain allergies, like egg, dairy or gluten (there are still nuts in this, hence the name). You can chop and change some of the ingredients, depending on what you have in. Instead of using brown rice flour, for example, you could substitute with buckwheat flour or any another gluten-free flour. It is simple to make, just takes a bit of time in the oven. But the best thing? You still get that sweet lemony taste like a lemon drizzle cake.
Walnut & Lemon Drizzle Loaf
Ingredients (for one loaf):
For the loaf:
- 400g walnut flour
- 100g brown rice flour
- 50g coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 100g walnut butter
- 100ml coconut nectar
- 2 cups almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
For the lemon topping:
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 35g coconut sugar
What To Do:
- Start by preheating the oven to 180°c, and then grease and line a standard sized loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Now it is time to melt the coconut oil in a pan on a low heat. Alternatively, you can melt in a microwave, 30 seconds at a time until melted.
- Combine the dry ingredients (walnut flour, brown rice flour, coconut sugar and vanilla powder) in a large bowl.
- Add the melted coconut oil, coconut nectar, walnut butter, and almond milk, then mix again until all combined.
- Zest three lemons using a grater and add it to the mixture. Chop one of the lemons in half and then squeeze it to get the juice. Add this in too and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and cook in the oven for one hour (or until it is firm to the touch).
- While it cooks, make the lemon drizzle mixture by mixing all of the lemon topping ingredients into a bowl and stirring well.
- Once the cake is done, wait for it to cool slightly. Then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool. Then, once cool, use a fork to make holes through the cake. Then pour over the lemon drizzle mixture.
It really is that simple! You can serve it with fresh fruit or your favourite yogurt, and it works well as a dessert, for elevenses, or even for a breakfast on the go, as it is full of healthy fats to keep you going.
If you’d like to win all of the linked ingredients from Indigo Herbs so that you can give it a try yourself, then all you need to do is enter via the Rafflecopter form below – good luck!
The giveaway will end at 11.59pm on 28th August 2017.
Competition Terms & Conditions:
- The competition is open to residents of the UK only aged (18) and over.
- The prize is non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
- To enter, please use the Rafflecopter widget above, complete any mandatory entries and any optional entries you would like.
- The winner will be chosen at random from all valid entries.
- The winner will be sent ingredients from Indigo Herbs.
- The closing date for entries is 11.59pm GMT on 28th August 2017.
- The winner will be informed by email within 7 days of the closing date.
- The winner will be asked to provide a full UK postal address with postcode for delivery purposes.
- The winners name will be available on request.
- Address details will be passed onto an agency to post the prize out to the winner, and is therefore beyond my control. I cannot be held responsible for prizes being lost in the post although I will endeavour to liaise with the agency.
- Entry to this giveaway confirms that participants have read, understood and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
- AAUBlog’s decision is final in all matters relating to this giveaway.